Autodesk 3ds Max 2020 – New features and improvements:
- The Chamfer modifier user interface has been improved. Fixed weight chamfer keeps a consistent chamfer width. Weighted chamfer allows chamfer to be controlled on a per-edge basis. Inset adds edge rings to chamfers when you cannot use smoothing groups, such as in models for gaming engines. Depth lets the chamfer profile go from a depth of 1 (rounded edge), to 0 (straight edge), to -0.5 (inverted curve). You can create presets to save your favorite and default settings.
- Improved representation of OSL maps in the viewport.
- Alembic – Playback control issues have been improved, custom attributes on non-geometry such as locators and dummies are exported, there is improved triangulation on concave ngons, and performance mode has been fixed.
- Civil View – A new GIF Checker Tool finds GIF files and gives you the ability to replace them with PNG files. This is especially useful when using the Arnold Renderer, as GIF files are incompatible.
- Modeling – Copy and pasted modifiers now retain their names, and scripted booleans preserve materials.
- Performance – Performance improvements let you be more efficient and iterate faster. Improvements include: the framerate (FPS) displayed in the viewport has been adjusted to be more accurate. Validity intervals are an internal feature that prevents 3ds Max from evaluating curves and geometry that have not changed, thus improving playback speeds. Optimizations have been made when interacting with the viewport and lots of grouped objects. The SetNormals MaxScript function is now up to 10x faster. Autobackup is more responsive when you want to interrupt it by pressing ESC.
- Preview Animation – Improvements to Preview Animation include: 1.5-3 times faster creation on local drives. Allows AVI codec selection.
- Revit import – New Combine By options give you more flexibility by allowing you to select the criteria to combine multiple objects into one during importation.Revit Interoperability now lets you import Revit 2017, 2018, and 2019 files into 3ds Max 2020 without upgrading the files. In additional improvements include IES lights, better translation of Revit Camera, Sun and Sky, as well as improved stability. Importing Revit is twice as fast as before (depending on the dataset), lights imported from Revit (via FBX/RVT) now work and render correctly, and the Import dialog has been improved so it is easier to understand and use.
- Unwrap UVW – Flatten mapping is an order of magnitude faster when working with many uv islands and pixel snap settings now save and reload.
- Interactive ActiveShade viewport – Improvements to ActiveShade let you interact and render simultaneously in the same viewport. Your rendering workflow is extended so you can now see the final result of your adjustments as you make them.
- Revit version compatibility – You no longer need to upgrade your file when importing a Revit 2018 file, provided you have 3ds Max 2018 and Revit Interoperability for 3ds Max installed.
- Alembic interoperability with Maya – Custom Attributes from Maya are grouped to support attributes on transforms and shapes, and vertex color sets are compatible with Maya import and export.
- OSL Map – Improvements include improved bracket highlighting, syntax highlighting, and better docking. Viewport support supports OSL features such as node properties and improved Bump map support.
More information on Autodesk site.